Bloggingmyproclivities

Bloggingmyproclivities

Thursday 8 September 2011

is there such a thing as too buff?


I think I might have to eat my words; previously I have mocked myself about becoming a gym bunny. Well, er, it might be happening.

After a week of being poorly and using that as an excuse not to go to Spin class because I wouldn’t want to fall off the bike during a coughing attack, today I went to the gym to do some weights. Voluntarily. And this isn't the first time that I've wandered off to the gym, for no good reason, and done some weights.

Previously I’d only go to the gym to do weights before the Spin class, you know if I just slipped them in there right before Spin then I wouldn’t really notice. Despite the fact that I only have four weights/exercises I feel really good now and am considering making an appointment to see a trainer and getting a few more exercises.

What’s up with that?

Is that how it starts? Four measly exercises, then before I know it I’m hooked and I’m loading huge weights onto the bars and grunting with the best of them?  And if I do huge weights will I end up looking like a bloke?

I know, I know, don’t sigh. I’ve heard it all before: women do not get muscles like men. But, the thing that worries me is that I tone up ridiculously quickly. Really. Sometimes I feel like I’m cheating. What if I’m the exception and get really, really buff?

Do men find buff women attractive? I’ve completely lost touch with what men find attractive. Slim, I think they find that attractive. Arm muscle definition? Do they find that attractive? I don’t know any men I could possibly ask without it sounding like a come on.

Obviously I don’t want to make things anymore difficult for myself in the search for a bloke. I’m already excessively picky. The man must be intelligent, fit, a bit quirky, tall, wouldn’t-hurt-if-he-looked-like-Alex-O’Loughlin (remember my Hawaii 5-0 obsession?), works in Melbourne. (Yeah, I’m still bitching about the MOS who did meet all my criteria except the last one.)

What if added to my pickiness is the fact that I’m superbuff and “cut” as they say? What if that’s off-putting to men? 

Ok, have just taken a breath and tried to get a grip. Clearly I need to calm down. I’m not excessively buff right now. Perhaps I’m worrying ahead of time - as usual. But if anyone knows any men that they can ask, could you ask them then get back to me? Please?

Stella  

6 comments:

  1. Not being a man, I won't be much help, but I think the answer, like most things, is "it depends." If you look toned, some men will love that, others may not. - So long as you don't start looking freakishly Hulk-like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As predicted, NQ, you aren't much help. (Sorry to be so harsh.)
    Sigh. "It depends"- yeah, thanks for that. Toned, how much is toned? and how much is too muscley?
    Never mind, I wonder what "freakishly Hullk-like" is too? If I ever have another on-line date I'll seek their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the beginning of an addiction to me. I'm not too sure if men like arm muscle but think of how useful it would be in school if now and then you could burst your shirt and turn green. No discipline problems ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what men like. I don't know what women like either, for that matter. But I definitely know what cats like -- people who are a little soft around the edges. Makes for better kneading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hocam- yeah, I think you might be right. I'll try not to do the turning green thing though.

    alonewithcats- cats are good like that; humans, much more hard to fathom.

    NQ- yep. Nevermind you are frequently very helpful. . .or at least give me lots of suggestions and options!

    ReplyDelete